Building the Foundation

There’s a science to the system. With a research base spanning more than 20 years, the results are in—TAPP consistently improves student outcomes. Across multiple studies and diverse communities, TAPP continues to lead the way in parent-teacher partnership models.

An Evidence-Based Approach

Family-school partnership researchers, including lead consultant Susan Sheridan, have evaluated TAPP using numerous experimental and case studies. The research findings are clear: the TAPP process consistently enhances children’s academic, social and behavioral outcomes.

One study, a large-scale randomized trial across 82 classrooms, found that students whose teachers and parents participated in the TAPP process demonstrated greater increases in adaptive behavior and social skills than students whose teachers and parents did not participate in TAPP.

Criteria set by the American Psychological Association’s Division 16 concluded that TAPP—relative to other parent consultation models—provided the strongest evidence for producing significant school-related outcomes.

Research Documents
TAPP Child Benefits
Students’ social skills, as reported by parents. This outcome was identified in a randomized controlled trial for grades K-3 (TAPP in the Early Grades) and is located on page 10 of RCT Findings.

Parent Partnerships: The Missing Link

During grades 1-12, children are only in the classroom for 8 percent of their lives. The other 92 percent is spent outside of school with adults other than teachers – an immense window of opportunity. Research shows that this window of opportunity is maximized by family-school partnerships, which support children’s learning and positive skills development.

To sustain these partnerships, teachers and parents must establish mutual trust, open communication and respect for diverse opinions. TAPP is a research-based process that supports strong parent-teacher relationships and improves student outcomes in areas including:

  • Achievement and academic performance
  • Attitudes toward school
  • Communication skills
  • Educational aspirations
  • Homework habits and work orientation
  • Motivation to succeed
  • Reduced behavior problems
  • Social skills
  • Study habits
TAPP Child Benefits
Parent-Teacher relationships, as reported by parents. This outcome was identified in a randomized controlled trial for rural elementary students (TAPP in Rural Communities) and is located on page 19 of RCT Findings.